Approaching a Noisy Neighbor

Approaching Noisy Neighbor

Many of us know the frustration of having a loud neighbor and feeling like you’ll never get peace of mind as long as you live there. Sometimes, one can use acoustical and soundproof solutions such as acoustic curtains, white noise machines, fixing sound leaks, etc., but despite the number of solutions, sometimes the noise can be so loud that you have to go next door and talk to them.

From our experience, most neighbors will cooperate and sometimes the case being that they weren’t even aware of the noise they were making. However, we know not all neighbors will react in a positive way or even cooperate. So what if the worst were to happen? What steps can you take before going crazy from sleep deprivation? Can you take legal routes?

Ways to Deal with a Noisy Neighbor

Step 1: Approach with a Win-Win Attitude

We know we’ve said this before, but the simplest solution is sometimes the best one. For some people, it may seem intimidating to approach a noisy neighbor. However, if you’re polite and assertive when asking them to turn down the noise, it may be the only step you have to take. Sometimes the neighbor isn’t even home when the noise happens, such as a barking dog. In other cases, the floors and walls may be so thin that what may seem like a normal noise level may actually be heard by your neighbor.

Step 2: Warn About Noise Issues

If talking to them doesn’t work, send them a copy of your local noise ordinance or lease agreement with a note reminding your neighbor of what you said before. Be sure to include the details of the situation and that you will be forced to contact the local authorities if actions aren’t taken to solve this issue.

approaching noisy neighbor

Step 3: Report Noise Complaints

If there is still no response, you can contact your landlord or homeowners association, giving them a detailed report of the situation. If several tenants or homeowners send in requests simultaneously (written or verbal), the chances of the issue being solved increases. Written complaints work better than verbal ones since you can go into more detail describing the problem, making sure it’s taken more seriously.

Step 4: Contact Police/Animal Control

If no one seems to help, you can always contact the police or animal control. Obviously, taking this step won’t do much in improving your relationship with your neighbor, but if may be your last resort. The police might not want to get involved if it’s an issue with a barking dog so you may have to contact animal control for that. Lastly, you can take your noisy neighbor to small claims court for nuisance. Small claims courts don’t require a lawyer and the process is much easier than regular court.

If you have any questions regarding soundproofing or acoustics, please reach out to us! We also offer a variety of customizable soundproof curtains that can fit any home or business.